Thursday, July 7, 2016

Writing Research 101: Becoming Part of the Story

Welcome to my Courtroom Weddings on Wednesdays

Attending these festivities is part of my writing research for a Christian romance series. Yesterday afternoon, Judge Dueker presided over 25+ marriages, each lasted no more than five minutes. Although I could only watch about a dozen or so, I had an incredible opportunity to stand in as a witness for young couple, known as #23, and sign their certificate.

Every week I asked random couples why they chose to exchange vows in the courthouse. Their reasons varied from "Why not, we've been together forever," to "He's getting ready to serve." Some didn't need any other reason than to officially be a family with their children dressed in their Sunday best. And the couples' ages ranged from their twenties to the seventies.

Couple 23 could have been my children. Nervously, the groom wanted to know if they needed rings, I told him no. He asked if they needed a witness. Automatically, my hand went up, and I volunteered to be their witness, even though the court reporter would have been the default witness anyway. I was as hyped as them. How exciting. I was about to become part of their story.


Since they were number #23 and the judge had finished #14, I asked the bailiff if "my" couple could go next, because I had to leave. Minutes later, I stood before the judge watching them exchange vows.
Whether they planned to get married yesterday or not, I don't know, because everyone doesn't dress up for the occasion.
Oh, and their reason for the courthouse wedding was they were very religious and they couldn't move in together unless they were married. Young love. I did challenge them to stay married as long as me--thirty-three years. And I will be keeping them in my prayers.
 

There was a family that traveled from China to see their daughter get married. Everyone was dressed for the occasion and they even let me take a group picture. After the bride and groom exchanged vows, their guests formed a receiving line outside the courtroom and softly clapped as the newlyweds walked out.

There was another tender moment that made me glad that I pen Christian romance novels. One couple exchanged vows as the groom held their infant daughter. The baby couldn't have been more than a few weeks old. She rubbed his arm as they repeated their vows and their kiss was gentle. Since some couples skipped the smooches part, this was an ahh moment from the audience. Then new bride left the courtroom blinking back tears.

Yes, I found love in the courtroom on yesterday and I can't wait to write the stories that have inspired my imagination in my Love in the Courtroom series.
Back next week with new brides and grooms.
*************************************
If you haven't already downloaded, JET the Back Story to Love Led by the Spirit, do it today.
Only .99.
https://goo.gl/xiJiQA


No comments:

Post a Comment