Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Research Time!!

Welcome to my summer field trips.

While on a work assignment at the St. Louis County Courtroom, I learned a few things about cases that are heard in the courtrooms. Mondays are reserved for people who want to change their names; Paternity Tuesdays need no explanation, Wedding Wednesdays, which are open to the public; Probation Revocation are heard on Thursdays; and divorces are granted every day of the week along with other civil and criminal trials.
After learning the schedule of “appearances,” I opted to witness my first courthouse wedding. I was hyped as I counted down the days to Weddings Wednesday. With thirty to forty marriages to preside over in one afternoon, judges’ one-minute nuptials would put speed dating to shame.
Judges performed the ceremonies on a rotating schedule. One judge walked in late, carrying his black robe tucked under his arm. By the time the bailiff had assembled the couples on a first come, first serve basis; the judge had slipped on his robe while cracking jokes to stir up couples and their witnesses. I later found out, ironically, that divorce judges also act as justice of the peace on Weddings Wednesday.
I didn’t know what to expect as I entered the crowded courtroom, but I did hope to capture that “look of love” on brides and grooms’ faces. It was odd to see some couples repeat their vows to the judge instead of gazing into their beloved’s eyes. On my wedding day, thirty plus years ago, I wanted my husband to look me in the eye when he made his promises!
Being a bystander wasn’t enough. Since I’m nosy by nature, I had to ask some brides why they chose the courthouse. Their reasons varied.
“We’ve been together for twenty-five years. We decided to make it legal,” said a woman sitting on the last bench. It seemed to be no big deal to her hubby to-be either who sat stoically beside her.  
I moved on to another bride-to-be and asked a similar question.
“We had planned to get married last year, then I got pregnant with her,” she pointed to the toddler playing at her feet, “so since we’re trying to buy a house, the courthouse worked.”
Besides her, there were a good number of women marrying the father of their children, including some who were pregnant.
The dress attire was as diverse as the nationalities tying the knot. I could count on one hand, okay, maybe seven fingers how many had dressed for the grand occasion. Some looked like they were on their way to a movie, shopping, or even heading back home after the certificate was signed.
There were some eye-catching fairytale brides who wore white or off white. One woman had on a long cream dress. Her hair was adorned with flowers as if they were on a vine. She bounced a baby girl in her arms who was outfitted in a cute orange chiffon dress. “I have my flower girl and bouquet wrapped up in one,” she told me with a smile.
“What made you decide to get married at the courthouse?” I asked.
The groom, decked out in a suit and tie, answered, “I’m about to enlist in the U.S. Navy and I had to be married to make sure my family was taken care of.”
“Awww, so when are you enlisting?”
“Friday.”
“You’re just making the cut,” I told him and thanked him for his upcoming service.
On another Weddings Wednesday, I chuckled after a woman, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, rushed inside the courtroom. “Did I miss it?” she asked a couple across the aisle in a voice that wasn’t a whisper. The embarrassed bride and groom shook their heads no.
There so much more, but I’ll share them in a blog or include them in an upcoming story.
Here’s some pictures to share:
This bride, a native of Nigeria, and her fiancé arrived three hours early to be the first couple married.




The young…



The more matured …



Nothing was stopping these lovebirds



From one Mrs. Simmons, I congratulated the new Mrs. Simmons--no relations. Of course I had to take a picture, since Simmons wives were in the courthouse. Her reason for a courthouse wedding was to give her Midwest family a ceremony, and then have one later in Baltimore for other family members.


On this Weddings Wednesday, a friend of a bride-to-be passed out napkins to newlyweds as they left the courtroom. “I wanted them to have something special from this day,” she said.

How do you research your stories? Do you have this much fun? Look for my weekly recaps every Thursday in July.

I’m Pat Simmons, author, romantic at heart, and your Weddings Wednesday roaming reporter.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download my newest release:JET: Back Story to LOVE LED BY THE SPIRIT for .99.





No comments:

Post a Comment